Can an International Student Work
in Canada after Graduation?

As you complete your post-secondary education in Canada, you plan to stay in Canada to obtain work experience. But, can an international student like you work in Canada after graduation?

The answer: Yes. The government has the Post Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) that will work for you. Take advantage of this program to gain valuable work experience and to become a permanent resident. You can pursue the Express Entry System of the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The Provincial Nominee Program is also an option to consider. However, the success of your application for a post-graduation work permit depends on your eligibility:


You must be a graduate of one of these institutions:

  • public post-secondary institution
  • private post-secondary institution operating under the similar rules and regulations of public institutions
  • post-secondary institution or private secondary (in Quebec) that offers qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer that earned you an attestation de spécialisation professionnelle (ASP) or diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP)
  • Canadian private institution permitted by provincial statute to confer degrees (but you must be enrolled in one of the programs of study that will earn you a degree approved by the province)


To work in Canada after graduation, your study should also be continuous and full-time. You should have completed it for at least eight months.

Written Confirmation

Another requirement is a written confirmation, such as an official letter or transcript, issued by the institution where you graduated. This should indicate that you met all the requirements to complete the academic program. Make sure you apply for a post-graduation work permit within 90 days after you received this confirmation.


You should pass the program of study and are qualified to receive your diploma, degree or certificate.

At the time of the application, you must also be 18 years old or older. You must also show a valid study permit to apply for post-graduation work permit so you can work in Canada after graduation.

Checking your eligibility alone requires hard work. Seek professional assistance to make your application less stressful.

Related Posts