Steps to Apply
for Canada Permanent Residency
Planning to apply for Canada permanent residency?
From 2011 to 2015, Canada welcomed an average of 259,542 immigrants. The government targeted to accept 300,000 immigrants by this year, according to the 2016 report of The Guardian. With Canada as the most welcoming country worldwide, who will not want to immigrate to Canada? But how? Below are the steps to help you out.
1. Decide where in Canada do you wish to live.
It is important that when you decide to apply for Canada permanent residency, you know where you want to stay. If you’ll be applying under the Provincial Nominee Program, these are the provinces you can consider:
- British Columbia
- New Brunswick
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- Northwest Territories
- Nova Scotia
- Prince Edward Island
- The Yukon Territory
2. Know if you are eligible to apply for Canada permanent residency.
Check the immigration streams available and identify which can help you become eligible to immigrate to Canada. Here are some of them:
- When you receive a job offer from a Canadian employer, you can apply through the Express Entry Program
- If a family member is already in Canada, you can take advantage of the Family Sponsorship Program
- The Canada Express Entry or the Quebec-Selected Skilled Worker (if you consider living in Quebec) is the right fit for you if you are a skilled worker in the industry or sector experiencing a shortage of labor.
- If you want to start a business that can contribute to the economic growth of the province that you want to live in, you can apply for Business Immigration through the Provincial Nominee Program.
3. Get the application package.
You need this to apply for permanent residency in Canada. This includes the forms that you need to fill out with the necessary information. Study the instructions to avoid committing errors that may eventually be the reason for the rejection of your permanent residency application.
4. Pay the required fees.
Before applying, know how much you need to pay so you can determine if you can afford to pay for it. Your permanent residency application will not be processed and will be returned to you without the required payment. You can pay it online, using your debit or credit card.
Also, you must show proof of your financial capacity to immigrate to Canada. You must have sufficient funds to support yourself and/or your family.
5. Submit your application by mail.
Mail your application, which includes the accomplished forms, supporting documents and the payment. Read the Document Checklist carefully to make sure that you included, signed and dated everything.
You will be notified when your papers will be processed and you are provided with IRCC office file number and other basic instructions.
The Canada immigration process appears to be this easy, but to be honest, it is complex and time-consuming. Changes in regulations and policies are also constant. This is why expert Canada immigration consultants are here to help you when you apply for Canada permanent residency. Consult with a professional immigration consultant in Burnaby, BC to learn more about how to immigrate to Canada and to increase your chances of getting approved.