Overseas Caregiver Programs in Canada
Offer New Opportunities

Looking for overseas caregiver programs in Canada? With the launch of the two new pilots, you have a lot of promising opportunities coming your way.

The Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada recently launched two new caregiver programs and these are open to those who are working inside and outside Canada. Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot are both 5-year pilot programs that allow overseas caregivers to work and bring along their family members to Canada and apply for permanent residency.

The Qualifying Work Experience

Having a job offer as a caregiver and completing a two-year work experience qualify you to apply for permanent residency through any of these overseas caregiver programs in Canada. However, the timeline of the application process varies, depending on your situation and work experience:

  • No qualifying work experience – you never worked as a full-time caregiver in Canada
  • Less than 24 months of qualifying work experience – you are currently working as a caregiver or have worked as a full-time caregiver but did not reach the required two-year work experience
  • Have 24 months or more months of qualifying work experience – you have, in the last 36 months, have been employed as a full-time caregiver in Canada for 24 months or more.

The qualifying experience means you have worked full-time in Canada in any of the two National Occupation Classification (NOC) jobs:

  • Home Support Worker – NOC 4412 (housekeeper experience does not count)
  • Home Child Care Provider – NOC 4411 (foster parent experience does not count)

The Open Work Permit

Subsequently, applying through one of these pilots, you will get an open work permit to come to Canada. This work permit is/allows you to:

  • Occupation-restricted (you can only work for a specific occupation, but you can work for any employer)
  • Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)-exempted
  • Complete a two-year work experience so you can qualify for permanent residency

Important Notes

  • You need a job offer from a Canadian employer before you can apply for an open work permit.
  • You can submit your work permit application, along with your permanent residency application. Processing of the latter will only start after you have completed the qualifying work experience.
  • You can bring your family with you to Canada. Therefore, their papers will undergo processing as well.


Getting ready to apply through one of these overseas caregiver programs in Canada? Contact us now.

Related Posts