Study and Work in Canada as

an International Student

If you plan to become a permanent resident of Canada, the faster route will be to study and work in Canada as an international student. Aside from obtaining Canadian education, you also get the Canadian work experience that gives you higher immigration points.

Let’s face it. Getting an international degree or diploma is not a typical reason one studies in a foreign country, especially
in Canada. Many foreign students choose to study in this country to be able to have an advantage over other international foreign workers that also want to work and live permanently in Canada. 

Canada Welcomes Skilled Immigrants

The Canadian government has always been very inviting to immigrants with skills and experience that will contribute to
the good of the economy. However, in as much as they welcome job applications from internationally-trained foreign workers, they still give extra points to job candidates that studied and obtained education in Canada.

Staying in Canada after Graduation

Some international students can study and work in Canada at the same time, but this opportunity immediately stops after graduation. If you have plans of staying in Canada after graduation, the government of Canada gives several options for you to continue staying in the country under different conditions:

Post-Graduation Work Permit after Study

If you studied in one of the Designated Learning Institutions and took up programs eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP), you can apply for such a permit to be able to study and work in Canada as an international student. The validity of your PGWP depends on the length of your study program.

Open Work Permit

If you prefer to hold an open work permit, you can also apply for one but the same guideline applies:
You must be a graduate from a DLI and must hold a diploma from a study program eligible for PGWP. Application for the open work permit is within 90 days after receiving the written confirmation that you have already completed your study program.

Post-Graduation Work Permit While Taking a Master’s Degree

When you enrolled for a master’s degree after completing a bachelor’s degree, you can also apply for a PGWP permit if you:

  • Are eligible to work off-campus during your previous study program
  • Have received the written confirmation that you have completed your bachelor’s degree
  • Still have a valid student permit or you have applied for an extension before it expired
  • Have received the letter of acceptance to a new full-time study program at a designated learning institute (DLI)
  • Will start your new study program within 150 days of receiving confirmation that you completed your previous study program

Permanent Residency Application through the Canadian Experience Class

Aren’t you lucky if you can study and work in Canada as an international student? But this is not yet it.

If you have at least one year of skilled work experience in Canada within the last three years before you apply to become a permanent resident of Canada, grab the opportunity offered to you by this specific immigration program, Canadian Experience Class. Check other eligibility requirements or get help from a Canada immigration consultant.

Related Posts