temporary worker Canada permanent residence

If you are a temporary worker in health care or an essential occupation in Canada at the time of the COVID-19 pandemic, grab this opportunity for permanent residence. As the Canadian government acknowledges your contributions to the economy, it encourages you to stay.

Two of the three new pathways for permanent residence are intended for a limited number of temporary workers. This limit does not apply, however, to those who are French-speaking and bilingual candidates.

Special Public Policies that Recognize Temporary Workers in Canada

The Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) opens the temporary pathways until November 5, 2021. However, the agency will no longer accept applications once it reaches the maximum number.

For temporary foreign workers in the health care sector in Canada, 20,000 applications are available for permanent residence. For those in essential occupations, the limit is only up to 30,000 applications. The remaining 40,000 applications are open for international students who are still in Canada and completed their education from an eligible Canadian institution. This stream has closed as of this writing.

The Minister of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada, the Honourable Marco E. L. Mendicino, P.C., M.P., offers a very simple message. “Your status may be temporary, but your contributions are lasting.” He added, “With this new pathway, we are recognizing their key role in our economic recovery, allowing them to set down roots in Canada and help us build back better.”

Eligibility Requirements

As temporary workers in Canada, there is no need for them to prove their ability to fill the labour market gaps. “The pandemic has shone a bright light on the contributions of newcomers in essential jobs, as we have recognized the caregivers, cooks, and cashiers as our everyday heroes.”

To qualify for permanent residence, you must have an eligible full-time work experience of at least 1 year. Experience in part-time work is also acceptable. You must complete at least 1,560 hours in one or more of the eligible occupations. As for the language requirement, essential workers must obtain at least a CLB score of 4.


Are you a current temporary worker in Canada in the eligible occupations? Waste no time as this is your opportunity for permanent residence. Apply now. Call Sure Immigration for more information.