How to Hire a Foreign In-Home Caregiver


Learn how to hire an in-home caregiver in Canada now that the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has announced the launch of two new pilots that may make it easier and faster for you to find a child or senior care provider:

  1. Home Child Care Provider Pilot (NOC 4411, not including foster parents)
  2. Home Support Worker Pilot (NOC 4412, not including housekeepers)

Through these permanent residency programs for caregivers, you can hire an overseas caregiver for Victoria BC, whether the employee is already in or has yet to go to Canada (except Quebec). The good thing here is, unlike the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, these two pilots do not require the Labour Market Impact Assessment or LMIA application. As a result, you will have fewer documents to prepare and less cost to spend.

How to Hire an In-Home Caregiver in Canada

As an employer, it is your responsibility to find a caregiver qualified for the job. However, what will you do if you can’t find a Canadian or a permanent resident that can perform the work? You have the option to find an in-home caregiver for Victoria BC! Here is how to hire an in-home caregiver in Canada:

  • Find a caregiver qualified for senior care or childcare (basing on your requirements)
  • Check if he or she is also eligible for the Home Child Care Provider or Home Support Worker application, as well as work permit application (must demonstrate the ability to do the duties and responsibilities as a caregiver)
  • Make sure that you can follow the provincial employment standards regarding wages and leave
  • See to it that the job offer letter contains all the required information

Specifically, part of learning of how to hire an in-home caregiver in Canada is knowing the tasks or activities that you will do:

  • Write and post job ads
  • Screen job applicants if they are qualified for the job (and if they also meet the eligibility and admissibility requirements for the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or Home Support Worker Pilot)
  • Provide a job offer
  • Support the caregiver’s application for the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or Home Support Worker Pilot
  • Arrange accommodation


Keep in mind that the work permit processing may take up to 12 months. For this reason, you must ensure continuity of senior care or child care. Learn about the Sure Immigration Long-Term Caregiver Staffing Solutions, both for home care companies and private households. Contact us now.

Help Me Find an In-Home Caregiver

Do you need to make sure that your home care company or your loved one get uninterrupted care? Know about Sure Immigration Caregiver Staffing Solutions.  Contact us now.

Temporary Foreign Worker Program


Similarly, if you consider hiring a temporary foreign worker (TFW) as an in-home caregiver that is already in Canada, you may do so through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP). This immigration program is also specific to employers who are in Quebec. How it differs with the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or Home Support Worker Pilot:

  1. You may need to apply for an LMIA. However, there’s a processing fee of $1,000.
  2. A job offer is no longer necessary as the in-home caregiver is already in Canada.
  3. While the two pilots’ work permit is specific to NOC 4411 and NOC 4412, the TFW’s work permit is specific to 1 employer and 1 occupation.


For more information on how to hire an in-home caregiver in Canada, you may email us now.